It's easy to create icons in Canva to use for the cover photos for your Instagram stories highlights on your profile. Canva has a ton of free icon options and plenty for only $1, plus if you have a pro account, you will have access to many, many more. Get creative!
This tutorial is pretty basic but you can get wild with your background colors or use emojis or multi-colored icons to create a personalized look to your Instagram profile page. If you have any tips for creating Instagram highlight covers, share it in the comments.
How to Design Covers in Canva
- Head to Canva and log in or create an account (it's free).
- Click "Create a Design" >> "Custom Dimensions" using width of 1080 pixels x 1920 pixels.
- Select a background by clicking on the "Background" tab from the left sidebar. You can use a solid color, a pattern, or a photo.
- Add an icon. Go to the "Elements" tab. You can browse or search for a specific icon. Drag and drop the icon into the center of your design.
- Many icon designs allow you to change the colors, so many any adjustments you like. Watch my video (below) for a closer look. Don't worry about sizing the icons on your canvas because in Instagram you have the ability to zoom in/crop your highlight icon.
- You can make multiple Instagram highlight covers by clicking "Add a New Page." When you're ready to export, click "Publish" >> "Download"
How to Upload Covers in Instagram
- Click on the highlight you want to change.
- Select the "More" link in the bottom corner and then "Edit Highlight."
- Tap "Edit Cover" at the top and select and resize the photo from your camera roll.
- Click "Done."
Ready for more? Learn how to add a line break to your Instagram caption.
Photo by Rahul Chakraborty on Unsplash
Thank you for sharing this article helps me a lot .
Myrna Bernal says
Thank you so much for sharing such valuable information! I was able to check this off of my to do list!
Kelsey Smith says
Happy to help!
I too use Canva to make my thumbnails, really canva is a great tool for beginners for professionals too.
The free version is more sufficient for my work but planning to upgrade to a premium version because I'm doing it professionally, so I need to upgrade.
I make all the posts using canva. really loved it as a user.