Graduation weekend I took my parents to one of my all-time favorite spots in Tallahassee, The Crepevine. They fell in love as I already had, and we talked about making crepes at home some time. For Mother's Day, Becca and I decided to try our hand at it! We didn't tell our mom what we were up to, which added to the fun. We based them off The Crepevine's Gilberto crepe (minus the chocolate syrup) and a Betty Crocker recipe to get the proportions right. They were a hit!
The original recipe made very small pancake-size crepes, but we opted for large 12-inch crepes. And trust me, while one doesn't seem like enough, IT IS. We made enough to have two per person, and then a few extra, and it was far too much. Becca and I both only ended up eating one, and my parents ate one and a half. The recipe below will make five large crepes, which would have been just enough for the four of us.
Strawberry Banana Nutella Crepes with Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1.5 cups Bisquick
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 cups strawberries sliced
- 1 bananas thinly sliced
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine all crepe ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Grease a 12-inch non-stick skillet and heat on medium
- Temporarily remove skillet from heat while pouring in batter. Pour about ½ - ¾ cup of batter into skillet, rotating the skillet until the batter covers the bottom of the pan. Return to heat.
- When bottom is golden (see below), flip the crepe to cook on the other side. When both sides are golden, remove from pan.
- Place crepes between sheets of wax paper or parchment paper to keep moist.
- Combine heavy whipping cream and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until the cream thickens
Assembling the Crepes
- Slather a large spoonful of Nutella on the lower third of the crepe
- Layer on a handful of strawberries and bananas. Add a few dollops of whipped cream.
- Roll up the crepe and top with more whip and fruit. Lastly, heat up a little nutella in a small dish in the microwave for about 30 seconds and drizzle on top!
Note: Nutrition was estimated using WP Recipe Maker.