This delicious crockpot hamburger potato casserole recipe features ground beef, russet potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, and cheese. Easy to make and customizable.
One great thing about this casserole is it feeds a crowd. With 8 to 10 servings, this is enough to feed the whole family with plenty of leftovers.
This slow cooker recipe is a delicious and easy meal that can be customized to suit your taste preferences. With simple substitutions and variations, it can be made to suit a variety of dietary needs.
Looking for more delicious slow cooker recipes? Try slow cooker Hawaiian meatballs and slow cooker chicken thighs and vegetables. For another ground beef recipe, try Instant Pot cheeseburger macaroni.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Simple ingredients: Ground beef, russet potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, and shredded cheese are at the center of this delicious casserole. Great for many picky eaters.
- Hearty meal: This filling meal is the perfect comfort food. Cheesy meat and potatoes, yum! Perfect for the entire family (plus leftovers).
- Easy recipe: This easy dinner idea is made in a slow cooker for easy prep and minimal cleanup, great for busy weeknights.
- Customizable: This easy recipe can be easily customized with substitutions and variations to suit a variety of dietary needs and tastes.
- Ground beef: I used 80% lean ground chuck, but you can use any type of ground beef or even ground turkey. You will drain the excess fat.
- Yellow onion: This is a type of onion with a mild to sweet flavor.
- Russet potatoes: These are large, starchy potatoes with a brownish skin and white flesh, commonly used for baked potatoes.
- Cream of mushroom soup: a type of canned soup made with cream, mushrooms, and other ingredients. You can even make homemade cream of mushroom soup.
- Milk: Liquid needed for cooking in the slow cooker.
- Garlic powder: For flavor.
- Kosher salt: Coarse salt, for flavor.
- Ground black pepper: For flavor.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: Has a sharp, tangy flavor.
- Monterey Jack cheese: A mild, creamy cheese that is great for melting.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Then add the diced onion and cook until translucent. Drain any excess fat and remove from the heat.
To the skillet, add the cream of mushroom soup, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
Grease or line the crockpot. Place half of the sliced potatoes in a flat layer on the bottom of the slow cooker.
Pour half of the cooked ground beef mixture over the potatoes. Top with half of the shredded cheese.
Add another layer of potatoes and pour the remaining ground beef mixture over the potatoes. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
Cover the crockpot and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours or until the potatoes are fork tender. Serve with garlic bread.
- Ground beef: You can use ground sirloin (90% lean), ground chuck (80% lean), ground round (85% lean), or ground beef (70% lean), whichever you prefer. The excess fat will be drained. Alternatively, ground turkey, ground chicken, or meatless crumbles (vegetarian-friendly) can be used in place of ground beef.
- Cream of mushroom soup: Nearly any “cream of” soup would be a great substitute. Try cream of chicken, cream of broccoli, cream of potato, or cream of onion.
- Milk: You can substitute milk with beef broth.
- Cheese: Different types of cheese such as mozzarella cheese or pepper jack cheese can be used in place of cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack.
- Onions: If yellow onions are unavailable, try white onions or sweet onions. If you don’t like onions, you can skip it or add another vegetable like carrots (thinly sliced).
- Garnish: Feeling next-level fancy? Top with sliced green onions, chives, or parsley for a pop of color.
- Spicy: For a spicy twist, add diced jalapeños or chili powder to the ground beef mixture.
- Seasonings: This is a great base recipe. Once you have this down, you can customize it with your favorite seasonings like Italian seasoning, onion powder, or ranch seasoning.
- Veggies: Add green beans, bell peppers, or broccoli for some fresh vegetables.
- Breakfast recipe: For a breakfast casserole, substitute breakfast sausage for ground beef and serve with scrambled eggs.
- Vegetarian: Make it vegetarian by substituting meatless crumbles for the ground beef.
- Slow cooker: A 6-quart crockpot works well for this recipe.
- Large frying pan: A large skillet is needed to brown the ground beef.
- Large mixing bowl: A large mixing bowl is needed to mix the ground beef mixture.
- Slow cooker liners: This is optional, but it makes clean up a breeze.
Leftover Crockpot ground beef casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. To reheat, place the desired amount on a microwave-safe dish and cook in the microwave until heated through.
For home cooks, "hamburger" and "ground beef" are used interchangeably in recipes. Generally, ground chuck (80% lean) is the best ground beef for hamburgers and meatloaf and is one of the most affordable options at the grocery store. There is also ground sirloin (90% lean), ground round (85% lean), or ground beef (70% lean).
Crockpot Hamburger Potato Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 medium russet potatoes peeled and sliced thinly (about ⅛'')
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Then add the diced onion and cook until translucent. Drain any excess fat and remove from the heat.
- To the skillet, add the cream of mushroom soup, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes in a flat layer on the bottom of a greased (or lined) crockpot.
- Pour half of the ground beef mixture over the potatoes. Top with half of the shredded cheese.
- Add another layer of potatoes and pour the remaining ground beef mixture over the potatoes. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Cook ground beef to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1 °C).
- Wash hands and surfaces thoroughly before and after handling raw meat to prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Allow the leftovers to cook to room temperature and store leftovers promptly in the refrigerator to prevent bacterial growth.
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.
More ground beef recipes
Looking for other easy ground beef recipes like this? Try these:
Leave a Reply