This easy Rotel chicken spaghetti recipe with shredded chicken, Rotel, Velveeta, and cheddar cheese is an easy family meal.
With 8 servings, this is a go-to budget-friendly dish if you're looking to feed a crowd, perfect for Sunday family dinners. This a great recipe for when you have leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken to use up.
This Rotel chicken spaghetti recipe is also easy to customize to your liking. Try the base recipe, then experiment by adding fresh jalapeño or diced green chiles.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Simple ingredients: This easy dinner recipe uses pantry staples.
- Family favorite: This cheesy spaghetti is one the whole family will enjoy. With 8 servings, it's perfect for a large family or your next gathering.
- Spaghetti - Break the spaghetti in half for smaller bites.
- Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies - Rotel tomatoes include chopped green chili peppers. You can use any variety of Rotel such as original or mild.
- Cream of mushroom soup - Condenses soup. You can also use cream of chicken.
- Cheddar cheese - Shredded sharp cheddar.
- Velveeta Original - Cubed.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chicken - shredded chicken
See the recipe card for quantities.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Break spaghetti in half and boil until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In the large pot, heat the Rotel, cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup shredded cheddar, Velveeta, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt on medium-high until the cheese melts, stirring constantly.
Stir in the shredded cooked chicken breast and cooked spaghetti noodles a little bit at a time. This will help you more evenly coat the chicken and spaghetti in the cheese sauce.
Tip: If your shredded chicken is cooked from scratch, be sure to season with salt and pepper. If you are using a rotisserie chicken, you may not wish to season the chicken.
Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
Bake for 25–30 minutes or until heated through. Parts of the cheese will begin to turn golden brown.
Garnish with chives, parsley, or green onions (optional).
- Soup - Instead of cream of mushroom, try cream of chicken soup or even cream of celery soup in a pinch. A condensed cheddar soup would also work well.
- Chicken breast - Shredded chicken thighs or even canned chicken can work in this recipe. You could swap the protein entirely and try with ground beef (cook the meat first).
Treat this as a base recipe that you can customize to make your own ultimate comfort food. Here are a few ideas on how to perfect this Rotel chicken spaghetti recipe to fit your tastes:
- Extra creamy - You can add 4 ounces of softened cream cheese to the mixture along with the Velveeta cheese for added richness and cheesy goodness. Alternatively, adding one cup of sour cream can create an indulgent, creamy sauce.
- More veggies - This recipe is amazing with 8 ounces of sliced button mushrooms. You can cook them down in the pot before making the Rotel cheesy sauce.
- More spice - Boost the spice with a second can of rotel, one fresh jalapeño (diced and sauteed or the canned variety), and/or a can of green chiles. Rotel also comes in Hot.
You will need at least one large pot. You can boil and drain the spaghetti and then whip up the cheesy Rotel sauce in the same pot. Or, you can prepare the two items simultaneously if you have more than one pot.
You will also need a colander to strain the spaghetti.
This cheesy chicken spaghetti recipe is perfect for a 9x13 baking dish. I like to use a casserole dish with a lid for easy storage and transportation.
Store tightly covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To make ahead, stop after you sprinkle the shredded cheddar on top. Cover tightly and store in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Follow the baking step when ready to serve.
To freeze, stop after you sprinkle the shredded cheddar on top. Wrap tightly and freeze for up to 4 months. Defrost for 24 hours before baking.
Rotel is canned diced tomatoes with water, chopped green chili peppers, salt, citric acid, calcium chloride, natural flavor, and cilantro.
Easy Rotel Chicken Spaghetti
- 16 ounces spaghetti
- 1 can Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (10-ounce can)
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup (10.5 ounce cans)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 8 ounces Velveeta Original cubed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds chicken breast seasoned, cooked, and shredded
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (177ºC). Break spaghetti in half and boil until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In the large pot, heat the Rotel, cream of mushroom soups, 1 cup shredded cheddar, Velveeta, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt on medium-high until the cheese melts, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the shredded cooked chicken breast and cooked spaghetti noodles a little bit at a time.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended