This 4-ingredient chocolate dump cake recipe is easy, using a boxed cake mix, instant pudding, milk, and semisweet chocolate chips.
If you're a fan of easy desserts and have a sweet tooth for chocolate, then you'll love this simple dessert. Just dump, mix, and bake.
With just a few ingredients, you can create a delicious and decadent dessert that is perfect for satisfying any chocolate craving. Between the cake mix, the pudding mix, and the chocolate chips, you’re looking at a triple chocolate pudding dump cake.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you like this easy dump cake recipe, try my cherry dump cake.
- Easy recipe: This easy dessert recipe is incredibly simple, using only four ingredients and taking just a few minutes to prepare.
- Decadent and rich: Despite its simplicity, this dump cake is incredibly rich and indulgent.
- Versatile: The best part? This recipe is highly adaptable and can be customized to suit different tastes and preferences.
- Dry cake mix: Any chocolate cake mix will do: chocolate fudge, dark chocolate fudge, German chocolate, devil’s food cake, and more.
- Instant chocolate pudding mix: This is a dry mix of pudding powder, sugar, and flavorings used to make a chocolate pudding. This can be found on the baking aisle near the boxed cake mix. Be sure to purchase "instant" and NOT "cook and serve."
- Semisweet chocolate chips: Alternatively, you can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate.
- Whole milk: This adds moisture and richness to the recipe.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C).
Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Tip: Be sure to coat the sides!
Sprinkle the chocolate cake mix evenly in the dish.
Sprinkle the instant chocolate pudding mix evenly across the cake mix
Top with half of the chocolate chips.
Pour the milk on top of the cake and pudding mix. Use a fork or a silicon spatula to gently mix the batter. The batter will not be completely smooth, but you do want to moisten all of the dry ingredients so that it bakes evenly.
Top with the remaining chocolate chips.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Use the toothpick test to determine if the cake is done.
Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, or a drizzle of caramel sauce (optional).
This cake pairs well with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce, or even fresh berries for a touch of tartness.
- Cake mix: Use a different box of chocolate cake mix (like devil's food cake mix) or dry pudding mix to switch up the flavor.
- Chips: Instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips, experiment with different types of chocolate chips, including dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, or even peanut butter chips or toffee chips.
- Nuts: Add nuts or fruit to the top of the cake for added texture and flavor.
- Fruit: Turn this into a fruit dump cake with a can of cherry pie filling. Try this chocolate cherry dump cake recipe.
- Extract: Use a plain chocolate cake mix and add your own flavorings, such as instant coffee or peppermint extract, for a unique twist on the classic chocolate dump cake.
To make this recipe, you'll need a few basic kitchen tools: a silicone spatula and a 9x13 baking dish. I recommend a casserole dish/baking dish rather than a baking pan. A metal baking pan may cook the outside of the cake too quickly.
You will also want nonstick spray or butter to prepare the baking dish.
To store leftovers, simply wrap the cake in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container and keep it at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
As the name suggests, dump cake is made by dumping the ingredients into a cake pan, usually without a mixing bowl. Sometimes dump cakes are no-stir.
More recipes with 5 ingredients or less
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
4-Ingredient Chocolate Dump Cake
- 15.25 ounce boxed chocolate cake mix
- 3.9 ounce instant chocolate pudding mix
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C) and spray a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the chocolate cake mix evenly in the dish. Sprinkle the instant chocolate pudding mix evenly across the cake mix and top with half of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the milk on top of the cake and pudding mix. Use a fork or a silicon spatula to gently mix the batter. The batter will not be completely smooth, but you do want to moisten all of the dry ingredients so that it bakes evenly. Top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Use the toothpick test to determine if the cake is done.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce (optional).
Chocolate lovers, tell me what chocolate dessert recipe you’d like to see next!