This classic beef and sausage chili is made with ground beef, hot pork sausage, and three beans: pinto, kidney, and black beans.
Cozy up this winter with a warm bowl of meaty chili. You will love this double meat recipe if you like a chunky chili filled with meat and beans. Classic beef and sausage chili calls for lean ground beef and hot pork sausage (also known as breakfast sausage).
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chili is an easy pantry recipe made with common ingredients you may have on hand.
- 85% lean ground beef
- hot pork sausage (breakfast sausage)
- yellow onion
- green bell pepper
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- fire roasted diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- pinto beans
- light red kidney beans
- black beans
- beef broth
See the recipe card for quantities.
Brown the ground beef and pork sausage over medium-high heat in a large stockpot with the diced onion and green bell pepper, breaking up the meat and cooking until the meat is browned. Do not drain the grease.
Tip: This recipe works best with 80 to 85% lean ground beef. The fats are used to cook the onion and bell pepper rather than adding additional oils. Do not drain the grease off after cooking.
Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, and salt, stirring to coat the meat and veggies.
Next, add the remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Bring the chili to a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for one hour.
Garnish with your favorite toppings.
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar
- Sliced jalapeño
- Tortilla chips
- Stockpot: You can make this in a 6-quart stockpot. The stockpot photographed is an 8-quart Cuisinart stockpot.
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
Refrigerate for 3 to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months in an airtight container or heavy-duty freezer bags. Try these food storage bag clips to easily fill your freezer bags.
Classic Beef and Sausage Chili
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 1 pound hot pork sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 28 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 15.5 ounces pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 15.5 ounces light red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15.5 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup beef broth
- Brown the ground beef and pork sausage over medium-high heat in a large stockpot with the diced onion and green bell pepper, breaking up the meat and cooking until the meat is browned. Do not drain the grease.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, and salt, stirring to coat the meat and veggies.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Bring the chili to a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for one hour.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings.
Alway use caution when cooking with raw meat.
- Cook ground beef and ground pork to a minimum temperature of 160°F (71 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Allow the chili to cool properly before storing in the refrigerator