This recipe is for all of the avocado lovers out there. It might sound complicated to make a homemade sauce, but this is incredibly easy, and you don't have to have a food processor either -- a blender works just fine! This sauce is one of those toss-everything-in-the-blender-and-voila kind of things. The longest part? Waiting for the pasta water to boil. NOTE: My advice on the basil is to do it right or don't do it at all! Fresh basil creates a wonderful flavor in this sauce that dry basil could never match.
I wasn't sure how Xavier would like this since he is a self-proclaimed avocado and guacamole hater. I swear, the boy dislikes anything green. Although he isn't as head over heels as I am with this recipe, I dare say he enjoyed it! He assembled his pasta with half of the avocado sauce and half plain red sauce. As much as I loved my sauce on its own, Xavier really had something there with the half and half combo. If you have a picky eater, try that tactic. Original recipe from Oh She Glows.
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Avocado Sauce (Vegan)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 6 oz roasted red pepper from a jar the equivalent of 1 pepper
- 3 tablespoon fresh basil
- ½ medium lemon
- 1 medium ripe Avocado sliced in half and pitted
- Add garlic, olive oil, salt, almond milk, roasted red pepper, and basil to blender. Juice lemon directly into the blender and scoop the pitted avocado out of its skin and into the blender.
- Blend until creamy. If needed, add quick splashes of almond milk.
- Serve over pasta of your choice!