This healthy buffalo chicken dip recipe is made with blended cottage cheese for a high protein, low fat dip that’s packed with flavor.
This is a delicious snack or appetizer that's perfect for game day. Bookmark this delightful dip for football season or your next party.
This easy buffalo chicken dip recipe is perfect for those who want a healthy appetizer or a delicious snack that is packed with protein. It's made with shredded chicken breast, blended fat-free cottage cheese, reduced-fat shredded cheddar, and blue cheese which provide a good amount of protein with less fat than traditional buffalo dip.
The hot sauce and blue cheese add a spicy and tangy flavor to the dip, while green onions add color and freshness to the dish. Serve with baby carrots and celery sticks or your favorite crackers or chips.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Healthy: This recipe is lower in fat and higher in protein than traditional chicken dip recipes, making it a healthier snack option. One serving (based on 8 total servings) is less than 150 calories and has 5 grams of fat, 5 grams of carbohydrates, and 18 grams of protein.
- Flavorful: The dip is packed with spicy and tangy flavors from the hot sauce to the blue cheese.
- Easy recipe: Buffalo chicken dip is simple and easy to make.
For a traditional recipe instead, try this Instant Pot buffalo chicken dip.
- Fat-free cottage cheese: A type of cheese that is made from the curds of skimmed milk. It is fat-free, low in calories, and a good source of protein.
- Hot sauce: My go-to hot sauce for buffalo chicken recipes is Frank's RedHot Original. Beware of hot sauce labeled as "buffalo sauce" because it can contain butter and other ingredients that change the nutrition value.
- Shredded chicken breast: Chicken breast that has been cooked and then shredded into small pieces. It is a lean source of protein and can be used in many different dishes. To bake your own chicken breasts, season all over with salt and pepper and bake at 425ºF for 17-21 minutes. Try this baked chicken recipe.
- Reduced-fat sharp shredded cheddar: It has had some of the fat removed, making it lower in calories and fat than regular cheddar cheese.
- Crumbled blue cheese: Blue cheese crumbles add an amazing flavor to the dip.
- Garlic powder: For flavor. You could swap this with onion powder if desired.
- Sliced green onions: This is a very mild flavored onion. It's mostly for color and texture.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
To a blender or food processor, add the cottage cheese and Frank's hot sauce.
Blend on high speed until the cottage cheese is completely smooth and has a creamy texture. Scrape the sides if needed.
Transfer the cottage cheese mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the shredded chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, half of the blue cheese, and garlic powder.
Mix until well combined.
Transfer the mixture to a greased 8x8 baking dish or a 9-inch pie plate.
Bake the dip in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the dip is heated through.
Top with the remaining blue cheese and garnish with the sliced green onions.
Serve hot with your choice of veggies, crackers, or tortilla chips. Enjoy this with some crispy baked buffalo wings.
- Chicken breast: Instead of using chicken breast, you can shred a rotisserie chicken. The skin and thighs will increase the fat content, so be aware of any nutritional value adjustments
- Cottage cheese: Cottage cheese can be substituted with a blend of nonfat Greek yogurt, low-fat cream cheese, Neufchatel cheese, and/or low-fat sour cream. Recently, I've seen whipped cottage cheese at the store, but I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say for sure if it's completely smooth or not.
- Cheese: Instead of blue cheese, you can use feta cheese or goat cheese. You can also omit the blue cheese and replace it with more cheddar.
- Hot sauce: If you want a milder version of the dip, you can reduce the amount of hot sauce or use a mild variety. You can also replace some of the hot sauce with tomato sauce (the kind that comes in a can, NOT pasta sauce).
- Veggies: You can add different veggies to the dip, such as finely diced bell peppers, shredded carrots, or chopped tomatoes to make this an even healthier buffalo chicken dip.
- Cheesy: Need extra cheese? You can add more cheese to the dip, such as mozzarella cheese or Monterey Jack cheese, both great melting cheese.
- Spicy: You can make the dip spicier by adding more hot sauce or adding some diced jalapeños or green chiles.
- Mild: You can make the dip mild by reducing the hot sauce or replacing some of the hot sauce with canned tomato sauce (not pasta sauce). To cool down the heat, you can also drizzle a little fat-free ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing over the top.
- Blender: You can also use a bullet-style blender if your bullet is large enough.
- Large mixing bowl: Or you can mix the ingredients directly in the pie plate/baking dish.
- Silicone spatula: Or a wooden spoon.
- Pie plate (9-inch): Or an 8x8 baking dish.
Store the leftover dip in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat the dip in the microwave or oven before serving.
Serve buffalo chicken dip with tortilla chips, crackers, carrot sticks, celery sticks, red bell pepper slices, and more.
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups fat free cottage cheese
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast cooked
- ½ cup reduced-fat sharp shredded cheddar
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup green onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- To a blender or food processor, add the cottage cheese and hot sauce. Blend on high speed until the cottage cheese is completely smooth. Scrape the sides if needed.
- Transfer the cottage cheese mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the shredded chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, half of the blue cheese, and garlic powder. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased 8x8 baking dish or 9-inch pie plate and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the dip is heated through.
- Top with the remaining blue cheese and garnish with the sliced green onions. Serve hot with your choice of veggies, crackers, or tortilla chips.
- Make sure to cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 165ºF (74ºC) to prevent foodborne illness.
- Do not leave the dip out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Wash your hands and utensils thoroughly before and after handling raw chicken.
Looking for more healthy appetizers? Let me know what you'd like to see next!
Leave a Reply