I am all about semi-homemade desserts, but homemade frosting is something I feel strongly about. Very rarely will you catch me with a store-bought tub of frosting. It's hard to say no to homemade buttercream frosting when it's so easy to make.
You'll notice the recipe calls for milk or cream. I say this because cream would obviously be.. well, creamier, but how often do you have cream on hand? The answer for me is never. Ever. And this Modern Martha is not going to buy cream just to use a tablespoon or two. I use whatever milk I have on hand, 1%, skim, Almond, Coconut.. it all works!
This should frost at least a dozen cupcakes.
Check out my scaled-down, small-batch version, Buttercream Frosting for Two Cupcakes.
Homemade Buttercream Frosting
- 2.5 cups confectioner sugar sifted
- ¾ cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon milk or cream
- Cream sugar into softened butter with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer on low speed until well-incorporated
- Increase speed to medium and blend about 3 minutes until the consistency becomes creamy and spreadable.
- Add vanilla and milk/cream and beat an additional minute. Add more milk if you need to thin out the consistency.