Today called for the recreation of a meal from my childhood in the style of tofu. I decided to veganize good ole chicken nuggets and create panko fried tofu nuggets, a vegan-friendly recipe.
With mouthwatering Golden Crispy Tofu from Vegan Dad and Crispy Baked Garlic Matchstick Fries from Minimalist Baker, you'll never want to buy frozen nuggets or fries again.
Now, this is where I point out yet again that veganism does not necessarily equal healthy. Fried tofu? Yeahhhh.
I imagine you could bake it as well as long as you give the tofu a light spray of cooking oil. I haven't tried it myself yet, so if you do please tell me in the comments how it goes.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pressing the tofu
The trick to these yummy nuggets is to press the tofu for 15-30 minutes before you start to get rid of all that soy water. I love my TofuXpress, but I got by for many, many years using textbooks and towels.
It wasn't until I graduated in 2012 that I looked around my house and thought, "OH MY GOD I NEED A TEXTBOOK." Things I never thought I'd say.
You could also try the TofuBud.
Panko Fried Tofu Nuggets
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Press the tofu for at least 15 minutes to remove as much liquid as possible. Cut the tofu into square nuggets.
- Mix the milk, yellow mustard, hot sauce, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Mix flour and remaining spices in another medium size bowl.
- Dip the tofu one piece at a time in the wet mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture.
- Fry the tofu on medium heat in about ¼ inch of oil in a large skillet. It will take just a few minutes for each size to turn golden. When done, place on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.