Tofu with spicy peanut butter sauce is one of my all-time favorite recipes. It can be served over steamed veggies, rice, or ramen noodles.
When The Beets sang at the top of their lungs about Killer Tofu, this peanut sauce recipe is the dish they were singing about (disclaimer: that in no way is real trivia).
The peanut butter sauce is the same ingredient blend as my Spicy Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce, but the recipe is scaled up.
This post contains affiliate links As an Amazon affiliate, I may earn a commission.
The tofu part of this recipe is straightforward: one block of extra-firm (or firm) tofu, pressed to remove some of the water.
This peanut butter sauce calls for:
- creamy peanut butter
- soy sauce
- apple cider vinegar
- pure maple syrup
While your tofu is pan-frying over medium heat, mix together your peanut butter sauce ingredients.
The peanut butter will take some work to break down. I mix this together with a fork and just stir and stir and mash the peanut butter until it's as creamy as possible.
After the tofu is done, pour the sauce over the top of it, reduce the heat to low, and let it sit for three minutes without stirring.
- Peaut butter: Creamy peanut butter is best. Crunchy peanut butter and natural peanut butter may work fine, but this is something I've never tried. With natural, freshly-ground peanut butter the sauce may end up gritty.
- Vinegar: I really would only make this using apple cider vinegar, I don't think other vinegars would have the right flavor. I use Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Soy sauce: Tamari is a great alternative.
- Maple syrup: Pure maple syrup is best but pancake syrup would work in a pinch.
- Sriracha: Sambal Oelek could be used in place of sriracha but I recommend adding a small amount.
Ready to serve?
I enjoy tofu in spicy peanut sauce over steamed veggies, ramen noodles, or rice.
Tofu in Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- Press tofu for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat.
- Cook tofu on each side until golden.
- While tofu is cooking, mix remaining ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.
- Turn heat to low and pour sauce over cooked tofu. Allow to sit for 3 minutes without stirring.
- Serve over veggies, rice, or ramen noodles.