These easy 2-ingredient soda cupcakes are made with cake mix and soda for a light and fluffy texture. Try diet soda for a low-calorie treat.
If you're craving a sweet treat but are short on time (and ingredients), look no further than soda cupcakes. With just a box of cake mix and soda, you can whip up moist cupcakes in no time. Simply combine the boxed cake mix and the soda of your choice in a large bowl with a whisk for your batter.
Once you've divided the batter into cupcake liners and filled the cupcake tins, pop them into the oven and let the magic happen. The soda's carbonation will help the cake rise, resulting in fluffy cupcakes that will leave you impressed with the ease of this recipe.
The best part about these soda cakes is how customizable they are. Whether you're a fan of classic yellow cake, zesty lemon cake, or rich chocolate cake, you can pair any flavor of boxed mix with your preferred soda. Diet soda, orange soda, grape soda, or even cream soda - the choice is yours!
Diet soda cupcakes is an old-school Weight Watchers recipe as a hack for reducing the calories in boxed cupcakes. For a perfect topping, you can use cream cheese frosting, Cool Whip pudding frosting, or get creative with colorful icing and sprinkles. These delicious cupcakes are perfect for any occasion, from a casual gathering to a birthday party.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The best part is that you can make them ahead and store them in an airtight container. It's a moist cake, so they'll stay fresh for days.
The flavor of the soda is subtle but it does come through. Try this easy dessert recipe and have much fun experimenting with various cake flavors and soda combinations.
- Easy recipe: Only two ingredients are needed.
- Pick your flavor: Mix and match cake flavors with your favorite soda.
- Low calorie: Use diet soda for a low-calorie treat
- Cake mix - Your favorite flavor of store-bought cake mix. I used strawberry cake mix to make diet 7UP strawberry cupcakes.
- Diet soda - You can use regular soda or diet soda. For strawberry cupcakes, I like a lemon-lime soda like 7UP or diet Sprite. See Variations below for more flavor ideas. A single can of soda is the perfect amount for this recipe.
Preheat oven to 350ºF (177ºC).
Whisk the dry cake mix with the soda thoroughly, getting rid of as many lumps as possible. You can use an electric mixer on low speed if desired.
Divide into cupcake pan, splitting into 24 cupcake liners.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Let them cool before frosting. To keep these light, I recommend my Vanilla Cool Whip Frosting.
Here are a few boxed cake mix and soda combinations I recommend:
- Grape soda cupcakes: White cake mix and grape soda
- Lemon cupcakes: Lemon cake mix and lemon-lime soda
- Creamy vanilla cupcakes: Vanilla cake mix and cream soda
- Chocolate cupcakes: Chocolate cake mix and Coca-Cola or diet Coke
- Dr. Pepper chocolate cupcakes: Devil's food cake mix and Dr. Pepper
- Orange crush cupcakes: White cake mix and orange soda
- Baking cups - Cupcakes liners for best results
- Muffin baking pan - Two cupcake pans
- Large mixing bowl - To make the batter
- Whisk - To mix the batter
To store leftover cupcakes, place them in an airtight container at room temperature. They will stay fresh for several days, ready to be enjoyed whenever you have a sweet craving.
2-Ingredient Soda Cupcakes
- 1 box cake mix
- 12 oz Diet 7UP or similar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (177ºC).
- Whisk the dry cake mix with the soda thoroughly, getting rid of as many lumps as possible.
- Divide into cupcake pan, splitting into 24 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool before frosting.