Shredded slow cooker chicken with BBQ sauce and zesty Italian dressing, perfect for BBQ chicken sandwiches and sliders.
Slow cooker shredded chicken is the best. When I first started learning how to cook, I really didn't like cooking meat, but the Crock-Pot makes it so effortless.
If I can dump a bunch of ingredients in the slow cooker and return hours later to a tasty meal, I'm a happy camper. This zesty Italian BBQ chicken recipe is a dump-and-go slow cooker recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I've seen several variations of this recipe using brown sugar, liquid smoke, and a variety of condiments, but you really just need three things:
- BBQ sauce
- zesty Italian dressing
- cornstarch (optional)
The end. Keep it simple!
I like to use Kraft BBQ sauce and Kraft zesty Italian dressing because they are affordable and easy to find, but any BBQ sauce and Italian dressing will do.
We have made this recipe dozens of times now, and I would definitely make it again and again and again. The recipe makes so much food, Xavier and I are able to make many meals out of it.
It calls for 3lb or about 6 chicken breasts, which I definitely think serves more than 6 people. My guess is about 8 because that's about how many sandwiches we get out of it.
I use a 6-quart Crock-Pot brand slow cooker. It might seem like a large slow cooker for two people, but I like to make enough food to have plenty of leftovers.
We usually use this Zesty Italian BBQ Chicken for sandwiches, but it can be enjoyed on its own (try it alongside baked beans and cornbread) or on sliders. I took this to a Super Bowl party one year with a pack of King's Hawaiian rolls, and it was a hit.
If you need another recipe idea for a pot-luck-style event, try my Pepperoni Pizza Dip recipe.
Zesty Italian BBQ Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe
- 3 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts about 6 breasts
- 12 oz BBQ sauce
- ½ cup zesty Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch optional
- Place chicken into the bottom of the slow cooker and pour sauces over top.
- Set to low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours (6 hours on low is perfect in my Crock-Pot).
- When done, remove chicken breasts and set aside.
- (OPTIONAL) In a small bowl or mug, dissolve cornstarch in about ¼ cup of liquid from the slow cooker. Pour cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes.
- Shred chicken using two forks and return to the slow cooker. Mix well and serve.
This looks delicious, I'm saving this recipe!